Comprehensive Oral Examination at North Shore Periodontics
You may have good oral health habits. You may brush your teeth after every meal, floss and gargle mouthwash. You may have a great set of teeth and no visible sign of oral disease. Does that mean you don’t need an oral examination? The answer is a resounding yes.
Periodontists, dentists, and other dental professionals have the expertise and experience to notice problems that an average person cannot. You may be surprised that some of the things you ignored may point to an underlying condition that you need to address.
Your First Visit to North Shore Periodontics
When you visit North Shore Periodontics for a dental check-up, rest assured that our dental professional will give you the best standard of care that you deserve. Here’s what a typical comprehensive oral examination would involve.
- We will do a thorough review of your medical history, including your current medications, previous illnesses, and other information that may affect your dental health. For example, diseases such as osteoporosis and diabetes can affect your gum and teeth health.
- We will examine your teeth, gums, and other oral structures visually to check for tell-tale signs of oral diseases.
- We will use measuring instruments such as a probe to check for gum infection. This will help us see if you developed a periodontal pocket that may indicate the existence of a periodontal disease.
- Depending on your needs, we may perform a series of X-ray scans to determine abnormalities in your teeth and supporting oral structures.
- We will look for signs of bone loss and tooth loosening.
- We will assess your bite to determine areas of pain or discomfort.
Based on our findings, we will follow up with a detailed consultation and discuss our list of recommendations. For example, if we found out that you have gingivitis, we will educate you about its causes, its treatment, and ways to prevent it from advancing to periodontitis. If you are about to lose some of your teeth and need tooth replacements, we will talk to you about dental implants and other replacement alternatives available.
Visit North Shore Periodontics and get your comprehensive oral examination today.